Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Cultural Adjustment--A New Beginning

The cultural adjustment begins. Like all good Easterners I walk too fast and cross the road whenever it's clear. We don't need no stinkin' crosswalks or signs to tell us when to cross. It's odd to see people wait until the red hand becomes a white walk ok sign even when there's no traffic. I like being able to walk to many places. It was particularly weird to go to a bank for personal use. For the last 10 years or so, I've only done business transactions at a bank (well, used business accounts even if I had to cash a personal check).

I was somewhat familiar with the pedestrian friendly attitude of California drivers, so this wasn't a shock. Though it is still a bit weird for me.

It seems like a bunch of the things I need are either in Palo Alto or Sunnyvale. Which is no big deal since it took about 5 minutes to go from PA to Sunnyvale with Mt View being in between.


That's the end of my written notes--all 23 pages.

There were a few things I remember that I didn't write down. 2 humorous signs I saw along the way. The first was just a misspelling of Famly. The second was "Kids for Sale". I know lots of parents want to give their kids away from time to time, but selling them? Come on! This sign, however, was selling young goats, ie kids.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home