Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Hot Springs

Finally catching up with the journal from the last 3 days (writing on paper that is, since I'm typing everything in at the end of August). I did the hot strings at Sol Duc in the morning. I figured it was as good a way as any to get clean. Unfortunately they didn't have a cold pool like Ainsworth (in Canada, Finland and Russia just use ponds/lakes/streams). There's nothing as refreshing as jumping in a pool at 40 - 50 F (4 - 10 C). I guess I should leave out the rolling in the snow stories, that was a long, long time ago.

Hiked to some Falls. Drove out to Mora and west to Rialto Beach. Couldn't see anything--fogged in and cold! Went to 1st beach--cold and windy. Skipped 2nd beach. I almost skipped 3rd beach given how bad the first 2 were. (There are those original English names again.) Very glad I didn't skip 3rd beach. It's a mile plus hike to get there, but well worth it. The beach is very sandy and walled in on the north and south by steep rock cliffs. It's fun to hop along the rocks. There were tons of starfish on the rocks. There was a very nice waterfall on the south end. Unfortunately I couldn't get around enough rocks to get under the waterfall which was probably over 100 feet high.

I forgot to mention a few short hikes near Sol Duc. In the Ancient Grove and Salmon Cascades. Both were very nice.

I'm still waiting to see a good sunset on the Pacific. I was hoping for 3rd beach, but the sun set over land which juts out. I'm gonna find a place to camp and try to hit the Hoh Rainforest tomorrow. (There are a bunch of rain forests on the Olympic Peninsula.) It was recommended and very interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home